Bernie’s Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes:
I prefer to broil them but they can be fried and are just as yummy.
Fresh crab meat is the best; usually can find it at seafood counter at Schnuck’s, Dierberg’s, etc. Also available at Bob’s Seafood at I-170 and Olive.
Fresh crabmeat is expensive; one way to cut down on cost is to buy an 8-ounce container of “Special” or “Lump” crabmeat at seafood counter then head to the canned section and buy two 4-ounce cans of “Lump” which can be found next to the cans of tuna. But the recipe calls for 1 pound of crab so don’t skimp or buy fake crabmeat.
To serve 8 double ingredients
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Dash of Tabasco sauce
1 pound backfin crabmeat, picked over
1/2 cup saltine cracker crumbs
Vegetable oil, for frying (optional)
Tartar sauce and lemon wedges for accompaniment
1. Mix the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, pepper, Old Bay seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco together in a blender or mixing bowl until frothy.
2. Place the crabmeat in a bowl and sprinkle it with the cracker crumbs.
3. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Gently toss or fold the ingredients together, taking care not to break up any lumps of crab.
4. Form the cakes by hand (or with an ice-cream scoop) into 8 mounds, each about 3 inches in diameter and 3/4 inch thick. Do not pack too firmly. The cakes should be as loose as possible (while maintaining shape.)
5. Place the cakes on a tray or platter lined with wax paper, cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before cooking.
1. Pour 2 tablespoons vegetable oil into a heavy skillet.
2. Heat the oil and fry the cakes until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side.
3. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
A serving of 2 crab cakes is about 340 calories.
1. Lay cakes out on a broiler pan sprayed with cooking spray.
2. Slip the cakes under a preheated broiler until nicely browned, turning to cook evenly, 4 or 5 minutes on each side.
A serving of 2 broiled crab cakes is 280 calories.
If you fry the crab cakes, and you are more interested in having a sandwich, it is delicious on a fresh roll; almost any kind will do. But don’t overpower the taste of the crab by going with a roll that dominates the flavor.
Place the crab cake on a layer of lettuce, and top with a slice of tomato. Slather the top and bottom of the roll with a smooth layer of mayo, or yellow mustard, or both.
If you are going to put the crab cakes on a plate and eat them with a fork, then I would suggest any number of sides. Cole slaw, or fries, or both. Corn on the cob. A thick tomato slice.